Can you believe summer whizzed on by and kids are headed back to school?! I simply cannot! Let’s get the children excited to head back to school with this Crepe Paper Pencil Surprise! Inspired by the Crepe Carrot Surprise that I made one Easter, this fun gift will definitely get your kids enthused about the start of the new school year. You can fill it with some pretty school supplies or maybe some sweet treats to celebrate your little one’s new school adventures. This would even make a great gift for a teacher! I wouldn’t mind receiving it loaded with chocolate treats; chocolate definitely helps me get through the school year.
Crepe Paper Pencil Surprise
Total time: 30 minutes
Crepe paper streamers, various colors to get the pencil look
Paper towel cardboard roll
Small piece of pink construction paper
1. With the brown card stock (or can use a stiff paper bag), cut out a triangle with a rounded base (similar shape to 1/4 of a pie) and use that to create a cone. Glue the sides together to form the cone. Place on top of one end of the paper roll, and glue the cone and roll together. Add a dab of glue as you go and proceed to wrap the cone with beige crepe paper streamer.
2. Add dabs of glue as you go, continue to wrap the roll with yellow crepe paper streamer to create the body of the pencil.
3. Once about 2 1/2″ from the top, wrap with grey/light blue crepe paper streamer stopping about 1/4″ from the top of the roll.
4. Fill your roll with surprises! Since children are heading back to school, put in pencils, markers, erasers, and some clips.
5. Using the pink construction paper, cut out a circle slightly larger than the roll opening. Line the edges of the circle with glue, cover the opening, press down the edges of the circle to secure to the top of the roll.
6. Proceed to cover the top of the pencil with the pink crepe paper streamer, glueing as you go to secure.