We decided this weekend is the perfect time to embrace the warmer weather and hints of spring so we’ve added a little green into our day and into our food.I have been working on a recipe for veggie bites for some time now, but I haven’t been able to narrow down a taste and texture that my whole family agrees on. My youngest has a serious passion for green peas and eagerly suggested I use them in my recipe. And you know what, she is on to something! Peas are the perfect texture for these veggie fritters and they are one hundred percent kid approved. Since peas are naturally sweeter in flavor, they balance well with the other veggies and healthy herbs. Add a side of homemade tzatziki sauce and dinner is covered!
Baked Green Pea Fritters with Tzatziki Sauce
yield: about one dozen fritters
2 cups frozen peas, ¼ cup reserved
1 cup almond flour
¼ cup chopped parsley and cilantro, mixed together
1 cup riced cauliflower (broccoli will work too)
salt & pepper
olive oil or coconut oil
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and grease with olive oil or coconut oil.
2. Place all ingredients, with the exception of the ¼ cup peas, in a food processer and pulse until combined. Make sure not to over mix.
3. Stir in the reserved peas.
4. Using a tablespoon, roll into balls and press into round patties that are about ¼ inch thick. Place on the parchment.
5. Bake for 10 minutes. Using a spatula, carefully flip over and bake for another 10 minutes.
6. Allow to cool and serve with tzatziki sauce.
Yield: ½ cup
½ cup plain yogurt
¼ cup finely chopped cucumbers
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1 garlic clove (optional, I omit due to an allergy)
1. Whisk all ingredients together until combined and creamy.
2. Serve immediately.
3. Store in an airtight container for up to five days.