Shared spaces can be fun to design but also challenging and this office/playroom was no exception. Designer Holly (@goldieandfawn) wanted to combine her design office and playroom into one shared space where her three kids could play while she worked from home.
When designing a combined space, keep these things in mind:
- Select space saving furniture pieces that have multiple functions. On the office side of the room, Holly can work with her laptop on the compact IKEA LISABO desk while seated comfortably on the LANGFJALL swivel chair. This desk/chair combination can also double as a homework station for her 9 year old daughter.
- Use simple storage units that hide clutter. On the playroom side of the room, the KALLAX shelving unit holds baskets to keep toys organized and clean up quick. For even more storage, the white IKEA PS cabinets add room for the kid’s toys and treasures. These cabinets are low enough for even the littlest hands to use.
- Keep the colors neutral. In a shared space, keeping the palette neutral will help keep the space feeling light and bright. Too many colors can make a small space feel even smaller.
- Add interest with an accent wall. This black and white “New Moon” wallpaper from Chasing Paper went up on the wall behind the desk super easy and became the most beautiful neutral accent wall.
- Use floor space. In a small combined space, every inch counts. It’s no secret that kids love to lay on the floor. To add comfort, the Ryland Wool Rug from Serena & Lily was an easy choice. It’s soft texture and durability is just what this room needed for when the kids are laying around with a good book.
Here’s a video with a special look inside the space.
Credit List ::
RUG Serena & Lily
WALLPAPER Chasing Paper
BLUE INDIGO PILLOW Habitation Boheme
HMONG PILLOW Homegirl Collection
WICKER & PEACOCK CHAIRS Bohemian General
FLORALS Tess Made
BASKETS Plum + Sparrow
MACRAME HANGING & PLANT HOLDER Sadie’s Knots
TRIANGLE WOODEN SHELVES Wooden Geometric
LEATHER WALL POCKET Project Wildflower
MACRAME WALL HANGING Ket Mercantile
WALL ART, DESIGN & STYLING Goldie and Fawn
DESIGN, STYLING & PHOTOGRAPHY Sarah Joy Schmidt
VIDEO & PHOTOGRAPHY Priscila Barros