flannery o'kafka: knitting isn't just for hipsters.

A rare half-day of sunshine brought us down to the park today where Her Majesty allowed me to take a few photos of her budget fashion: playground-style. In my 16 years of motherhood, I’ve seen toddler clothes swing from the lemon, mint, peach and light blue combos to the mini-adult uniform.  The last few years however, it seems like we might be reaching a happy medium with many designers making kid’s clothes for kids (in nice colours) and many parents buying vintage.

In Scotland, you can still guarantee receiving an abundant amount of knitting (sweaters, cardigans, booties, blankets, bonnets, gloves, etc…) when you have a baby.  Toddlers are often still seen in knitting and to be honest, Hugo (6) still has some fantastic hand-knit numbers.  The bonnet Olive is wearing came handed down from a friend.  Over the years, it’s stretched out a bit and is now the perfect size for a two year-old.  The vintage knit dress is probably 80s.  A friend of mine found it strangely enough in an Eastern European vintage knitwear shop in Glasgow.  Everything was £1 and the clothes were outrageously cute and kitsch.

Adding in a black top, mary janes, and thick green tights–she can retain her baby-ness and not lose any of her tough-girl edginess in the playground.

Entire outfit £5

navy knit dress  vintage £1,    black onesie  H&M £3 (she’s been wearing it for a year–originally long sleeved and now 3/4 length),
tights Zara £1,   black Mary Janes  Cherokee from Target 14 years ago: handed down from big sister
bonnet  free (hand-knitted by a Scottish gran and passed down to us from a friend)

(I may or may not be a hoarder considering I saved those shoes for 14 years…I’ll let you decide!)
Happy knitting to all you crafters out there,

Andrea

flannery o’kafka

see more photos from our morning HERE.

Mary Janes are still found at a great price at Target

17 comments on “flannery o’kafka: knitting isn’t just for hipsters.

1. pilli pilli on said:

Yay! Happy to hear knitting for babies is both FUN & FUNky!
    I’m expecting twins, and all I seem to do these days is knit- knit- knit.
    It’s just so nice to be able to do something for them before they arrive,
    plus babies in knitted outfits are simply too cute for words!
    ^_^

[LOVE],k.

• Oh my dear goodness…you are just about the cutest pregnant lady I’ve ever seen and your knitting is outrageously lovely…those are two lucky babies!
      I think the Grannies here are always on the lookout for anyone expecting…they just love to knit!

(and we love to wear it!)

Andrea

2. Louise at Rufus & Rose on said:

Wait, that entire cute outfit for £5? You sound like me ;)

3. adorable! same here – i have a massive box of thrifted knitwear, shoes, vintage, etc. for hadley to grow into. i just stock up on tights from h+m and she is good to go! sweet photos :)

4. flannery o'kafka on said:

Thanks Kristin! Yes,H&M is always great for basics…and I just can’t throw away a good pair of shoes….

5. Claudia Guerreiro on said:

oh my goodness, she is such a cutie!! and you know what? i thought of myself as a hoarder. but you know, a clean, organized, ocd one ;)

• Andrea on said:

Thanks Claudia! Just going upstairs to raid the box labelled ‘Lydia’s baby clothes’–had that one for 16 years!
      p.s. Love Lily’s photos today!

6. beautiful. i love the current trend with kid’s cloths. i support vintage 100% and love to see fun colors that compliment children.
    beautiful photos ;)

• Andrea on said:

Thanks Liz, and thanks for the follow…also your photos today are lovely…wish you’d send some Spring our way…

7. Shannon on said:

Oh, I love knitwear on kiddos. No one in my family has the skills, so our collection is quite limited. But I am always on the hunt!

• Andrea on said:

I’m always on the hunt as well, Shannon! Just found a teal cable knit pullover for Olive in a charity shop last month…love it!

8. Adventures In Babywearing on said:

Oh wow, love this look! (I’m a knitter, too, but have been a bit behind on knitting for Ivy!)

Steph

• Andrea on said:

Steph, my daughter knits as well and has NEVER knitted for Olive…the women with the highest output seem to be over 70! ;)

9. That outfit is ace!!! Love it.

Nev

10. Andrea on said:

Thanks so much, Nev! Looking forward to hearing more about your little Lime!

11. Adin U. Blankenship on said:

Oh, I am inlove with her outfit. She is a darling! :)