For our second installment of the back to school series we are featuring some outfits with mixed prints. Kids love mixing prints so why not go with it and encourage your little babiekins creative expression.
Some tips for mixing prints
- When mixing prints like in the outfit on the right use a unifying color. The black checks and the black horses work with this look.
- Pay attention to scale when mixing patterns. Do not use prints that are the same size. Smaller patterns with larger patterns create balance.
- Pair contrasting colors on the color wheel, AKA complimentary colors. The purple/ blue hue of the dotted dress pairs well with its contrasting color yellow head wrap.
- Stay with similar textures to keep the patterns from getting to busy
- Some pattern combos to try are stripes and florals or stripes and polka dots
- Afraid of mixing prints? Start by mixing a floral head wrap with a polka dot dress. On boys mix a striped beanie with a plaid flannel.
Show us how you mix prints and patterns on your babiekins by tagging your photos on instagram with #babiekinsmixedpatterns and your little babiekin could be featured in an upcoming blog post. We would love to see them!
Top knot headband : Elskan :: Stripe black and white tee : Coney Island Baby :: Fruit necklace : Wunway :: Polka dot dress : Tea Collection :: Boots : Dr Martins
Owl hair clip : Adelaide :: White glasses : Target :: Pink horse print top : Rock Your Baby :: Checkered pants : Wunway :: Hi-tops : Converse
Styling by Heather Rome
Photography by Stephanie Matthew