Halloween time is upon us! Have the costumes all been picked in your home? If not, here’s a simple idea you can create with your child… painted butterfly wings! Not only will this costume get used for Halloween, but the wings for sure will lend itself to hours of imaginative play. You could also create bird, bee, or even dragon wings. There’s so much you could do with some fabric, fabric paint, and a wee bit of sewing know-how.
Painted Butterfly Wings
Total Time: 2 hours (including dry time)
1 yard of fabric
Sewing machine or hand-sewing needle
1. Measure the wing span of your child (from wrist to wrist) as this will be the width of your butterfly wings. Fold fabric in half and cut out the butterfly wing shape.
2. Paint your butterfly wings. Allow to dry completely, then iron wings to heat set the design.
3. Cut out a 2″ x 36″ strip of fabric, and sew the center of the strip onto the top center of the wings on the wrong side of the fabric.
4. Cut out 2 – 1″ x 20″ strips of fabric, and and sew the center of the strip near the top right and left corners of the wings (where the child’s wrist will located).
5. Tie bow around neck and wrists to wear the painted butterfly wings. For smaller children, it is best to omit the tie around the neck, instead use a safety pin and pin the center of the butterfly wings to the back of their leotard/shirt.